In 1914 it was decided to erect a massive floating boom across the mouth of the River Medway. The intention was to keep enemy ships out of the river and all that it held (including the important Chatham dockyard). This boom ran from the Isle of Grain to the Isle of Sheppey, and Grain Tower formed the anchoring point on the Grain side. The boom itself is long gone, but the massive chains which anchored it to Grain Tower are still wrapped round tower’s base.
We left them to fight it out; it was time to get back to shore.
Points on this walk (copy and paste the co-ordinates into Google Earth):
- Grain Beach Car Park: N 51° 27.582 E 000° 43.046
- Grain Tower: N 51° 27.089 E 000° 43.869
- Date of Walk: 17 May 2014