What on EARTH is that giant mushroom?????????
Hmmmmm. It is probably safe to say that it is a vent to some sort of underground facility. Given that it is slap bang in the middle of a military training area, it is probably not safe to speculate any further for fear of besuited men in sunglasses pulling up outside your house in dark sedans.
Known as the “Browndown Mushroom”, it is a well-known local landmark. Everyone knows where it is; it’s just that nobody knows exactly what it is!
One section of non-military society has at least found a use for it: it marks the western boundary of a nudist beach, or, to be politically correct, an “Optional Clothing Beach”.
Nudism has become politically correct! I love it!
Points on this part of the walk (copy and paste the co-ordinates into Google Earth):
- The Browndown Mushroom: N 50° 47.212 W 001° 10.566
Walk #66 Statistics (of which this post forms the seventh part):
- Date of Walk: 19 February 2014
- Walk #66 total distance covered: 15.29 miles
- Coast of Britain Walk Total Distance Covered: 554.05 miles
- CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO INTERACTIVE MAP!!!