We arrived back at Norman’s Bay and continued our journey west. Martello Tower #55 had stood bathed in the warm glow of the setting sun last night. Today it stood crisp and clean against the morning sky. It had clearly just been refurbished and turned into a house. It was still surrounded by temporary fencing.
The gulls accompanied us.
The beaches here are clearly subject to shifting shingle and longshore drift, as there were bulldozers pushing great mounds of shingle further up the beach.
Points on this part of the walk (copy and paste the co-ordinates into Google Earth):
- Martello Tower #55: N 50° 49.376 E 000° 23.095
- Martello Tower #60: N 50° 48.642 E 000° 20.910
- Martello Tower #61: N 50° 48.442 E 000° 20.665
- Martello Tower #62: N 50° 48.223 E 000° 20.487
Walk #46 Statistics (of which this post forms the first part):
- Date of Walk: 18 February 2013
- Walk #46 total distance covered: 9.51 miles
- Coast of Britain Walk Total Distance Covered: 375.46 miles
- CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO INTERACTIVE MAP!!!